Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 04:30:38 +0200

>> We could indeed, but I don't want to have different syntaxes in
>> different functions.  It'd suck if you can't lift a key definition from
>> `define-keymap' and use it in `local-set-key'.
>
> Then I suggest not to support strings at all in `define-keymap`.

The same argument is as valid in the opposite direction.  I.e., if you
see a key binding used in `local-set-key', you should be able to use it
in `define-keymap'.

> The old string syntax for keys just sucks and we should work towards
> its reduction, even if it will stay with us for the foreseeable future.

I totally agree that the old string syntax for keys sucks, but there is
no realistic way to phase it out.  `kbd' was a nice attempt, but it's
not attractive enough as is.  My hope is that the new syntax (which
gives you actual error messages if you do something wrong and stuff)
will spur conversion.