Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:18:13 +0200

> Looking at https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/emoji-list.html, it divides
> the emojis up into groups like "Food & Drink", which seems very useful,
> and it says that this data is from the CLDR.  It doesn't seem that we've
> imported that data into Emacs?  At least grepping around in
> admin/unidata/ doesn't seem to give any promising matches.

Looks like it's in a file we haven't imported:
common/annotations/en.xml from the CLDR repo.  It has entries like

                <annotation cp="🥝">food | fruit | kiwi</annotation>
                <annotation cp="🥝" type="tts">kiwi fruit</annotation>
                <annotation cp="🍅">fruit | tomato | vegetable</annotation>
                <annotation cp="🍅" type="tts">tomato</annotation>
                <annotation cp="🫒">food | olive</annotation>
                <annotation cp="🫒" type="tts">olive</annotation>

which seems promising, if somewhat confusing.  I mean, one of these
three things isn't like the other: "food | fruit | kiwi".  So I guess it
can't be used to create an automatic segmentation, but after creating
some categories manually, it can be used to look up stuff when
populating the UI.  Probably.