RE: Dark mode on Windows

From: Vince Salvino
Subject: RE: Dark mode on Windows
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 04:29:29 +0000

All right everyone, thanks for all your help. I managed to work out the library
I will submit shortly following the CONTRIBUTE guide.

Info and download: https://github.com/vsalvino/emacs

Patch: https://github.com/vsalvino/emacs/pull/1/files

It currently works as so:
* Queries if emacs is running on a supported version of Windows, and OS theme
is set to "dark" (light is default).
* Applies system dark title bar
* Applies system dark scroll bars

The following is needed to "complete" the dark mode, but requires a lot more
rabbit holes, so will have to be saved for a later date:
* Dark menu bar (no idea how to do this)
* Dark tool bar (probably same implementation as menu bar)

Feel free to debate among yourselves as to the meaning of life:
* Automatically switching the faces/theme to a light/dark theme. This would be
cool but also kind of useless as most people configure their own theme anyhow.
And nearly every other editor DOES NOT do this, so I think trying to
automatically switch user settings is pointless. Maybe add a link on the splash
screen to set your theme.
* Make sure themes support dark tab bars. Most do not style it (since it is a
newer feature) so it still appears light even on a dark theme.
* I do not want to implement a watcher that receives system light/dark mode
changes to dynamically update the window theme. Just restart emacs, it's not a
big deal.

Vince Salvino