Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 18:09:02 +0200

> I tested it, and I like it.  Transient seems like a good choice for
> something this.

Thanks; yes, it feels quite efficient to choose stuff via the transient
interface.  (And I've hacked it up with a proof-of-concept variable
pitch alignment on that branch.)

You can now pick among all the normal emojis, but I've yet to add the
hue/gender variations and stuff.  There's also the question of the
VARIATION SELECTOR-16 stuff and how that relates to all this, which I'm
still quite not sure...

> Another idea is to have a grid where you can pick one
> using arrow keys and RET, which might feel more familiar to some users
> (I'm not sure if transient supports this).  Or perhaps a combination
> of the two?

Yes, a huge grid (divided into sections) is probably also a good thing,
but that would be a separate command, like `list-emojis' or something.

I also thing a separate command for searching emojis by name would be
good (and then drop into the transient interface to choose the
hue/gender variations), probably.