Re: Draw and Scribble Notes in GNU Emacs (Schematics)

From: Leonard Lausen
Subject: Re: Draw and Scribble Notes in GNU Emacs (Schematics)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 03:43:51 +0000

> > As I said before, that means: it does not work on any device using a
> > Bluetooth operating pen?
>
> Why do you assume so? Do you know of any such hardware which doesn't
> generate such mouse movement events? That will help me provide you an
> appropriate answer.

These devices typically come with an integration to libinput, which
exposes the touch events. Those events provide more information than
mouse movement (distance, pressure, tilt), and they do not necessarily
trigger mouse movement. [1] documents the integration in libinput, which
for example relies on libwacom for the passive electromagnetic resonance
(not Bluetooth) pen integration. In summary, such hardware can generate
mouse movement, but only taking generated mouse movement into account
would be restrictive.

As a side note on available hardware, [2] provides an example of running
Emacs on a reMarkable tablet (which normally uses EMR pen for input,
though of course relies on an external keyboard for above emacs
example). reMarkable tablet is an open device based on GNU/Linux and
allows it's owner to ssh into the device and perform modifications, such
as getting emacs to run..

[1]: https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/tablet-support.html
[2]:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RemarkableTablet/comments/iis4fo/emacs_on_remarkable/