Re: SVG widget in GNU Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: SVG widget in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:25:14 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I understand what the problem in this area is.  But I'd rather have the
>> existing and (mostly) working xwidgets feature fixed than to waste time
>> implementing a new one.

> If the technology on which xwidgets are based is being deprecated, let
> alone a dead end, that time will not go wasted.

I don't agree with the statement that they're a dead end, as offscreen
rendering is not deprecated in GTK 3, which will be with us for the
foreseeable future.  The changes introduced with GTK 4 are not relevant
for GTK 3 (and are of a more fundamental nature that put not just
offscreen rendering, but even the use of Cairo in danger).

Fundamentally, NS xwidgets work the same way as GTK xwidgets, by
displaying in an offscreen window, and then copying the contents of said
offscreen window to widgets that are created for each displayed xwidget.

That NS xwidgets (based on the same principles as GTK xwidgets), in
Akira's words, work better, shows there are no fundamental barriers
between briding GTK's rendering model and Emacs's display model.

Thanks.