Re: SVG widget in GNU Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: SVG widget in GNU Emacs
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:39:04 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Isn't that flickering a direct consequence of the fact that xwidgets
> disable an important optimization in scrolling_window?

I suspect the problem lies, rather, in Emacs painting over widgets.

Since 2.18 GTK+ has stopped giving widgets individual X windows by
default, so drawing the glyph string background in x_draw_glyph_string
causes flickering, because it is actually painting over the widget's
native X window.

This is because Emacs uses X drawing primitives (or a cairo xlib
surface, not a surface provided by GTK), that GTK doesn't know about.