Re: describe-char on emoji sequences

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: describe-char on emoji sequences
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:32:01 +0200

    >> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
    >> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,  cloos@jhcloos.com,
    >> emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:43:43 +0200
    >>
    >> On Okt 27 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
    >>
    >> > We need to understand how to adjust it.  Does 1.9 lack support for
    >> > one of the characters we require for Emoji in
    >> > script-representative-chars?
    >>
    >> How do I check?

    Eli> The easiest way is to start Emacs like this:

    Eli>   emacs -Q -fn "Noto Color Emoji"

    Eli> then oinsert the two characters we have for Emoji in
    Eli> script-representative-chars, and see if they display as glyphs or as
    Eli> "tofu".

    Eli> (It could be that Emacs will refuse to start with Noto Color Emoji as
    Eli> the default font, for some reason.  Then I will suggest a slightly
    Eli> more complex method.)

I downloaded noto-coloremoji-fonts-20191119-1.9.noarch.rpm and
extracted the .ttf from it. Emacs-28 here has no problem with U+1f482,
U+1f300, and U+1f600

Does

FC_DEBUG=1 emacs -Q|grep :file

give any clues as to where things may be going wrong? Or maybe
hb-view:

hb-view  --output-file=foo.svg --font-size=14 \
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoColorEmoji.ttf  -u 1f482

should produce a nice looking svg.

Robert