Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:58:07 +1100

>> I'm finding it increasingly difficult to build emacs in my distro,
>> Fedora(Ok, I havent managed to build emacs using distro dependencies for
>> a long time)
>
> That's a serious problem for Emacs, so please report these as bugs.
> I use the kind of "stgit" setup you describe on Debian testing machines
> and have none of the problems you describe, so my guess is that Fedora
> is a bit more "bleeding edge" and the Emacs code gets adjusted for the
> new libs before they reach Debian testing.
>
> Maybe we should have a "bleeding edge Fedora" build VM in EMBA to catch
> those problems?

Yes, some more details would be useful. I built emacs on fedora a few
months back without issue. Could it possibly be the issue is not that
Fedora is too bleeding endge or is it that the OP's version is too old
and so they have to install later lib versions than are available? It
would be good to know what version of fedora they are trying to build on.

I've also built emacs on recent arch without issue and arch typically
has pretty bleeding edge libs.