Re: Move shorthands.el to lisp/emacs-lisp/?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move shorthands.el to lisp/emacs-lisp/?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:10:04 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:45:19 +0700
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>,
>       Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>, Emacs developers
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 at 13:09, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't mind moving it now.  But please be sure to us "git mv", not
> > the "manual" method, so that at least some of the Git commands could
> > work across the renaming boundary.
>
> “git mv” is not magical though; it does not do anything that a manual
> move + staging both the deletion and the addition of the moved file
> does not do.

You misunderstood what I meant by "manual".  I meant "git rm" followed
by "git add".

And if you want to say that the latter also does the same as "git mv",
then that's not my experience.

P.S. And I don't actually understand why you decided to chime in:
would something I said cause sub-optimal results?