Re: Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 14:48:09 -0400

> Sorry for that.  But the only thing I ask in this thread is what to do
> with GNU ELPA packages on unethical GitHub?

We should encourage use of more friendly hosting sites.
[ BTW, I don't think calling Github "evil" will help in any way.  ]
I'd be happy to hear suggestions how we can do that (e.g. add
additional features to elpa.gnu.org to better integrate packages hosted
on sr.ht?).

> It's considered unacceptable for hosting any free software (including
> GNU software) by the Free Software Foundation.

GNU ELPA itself doesn't rely on Github's proprietary code (it accesses
Github only via the standard Git protocol) and users of GNU ELPA
packages don't really need to know or care where's the upstream (they
have access to a complete Git mirror right in `elpa.git` and every
package normally comes with an email address to contact the maintainer
without having to go through Github).

        Stefan