Re: Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 14:11:34 +0600

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > This way you are just worsening the situation.  (But you obviously have
>   > the freedom to do that.)  To increase the "contributor-base" outside
>   > GitHub, we have to convince maintainers to move away from GitHub.
>
> I agree.
>
> But I should point out also that GitHub has several bad practices
> that have done great harm to the free software commnity.
> See https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html for
> what they are.  These have happened for years, and we have urged people
> to reject GitHub for years.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
> Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
> Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

And obviously, we need federation.  AFAIK we have federation for social
network, but not yet for software development.  And this is even more
important for developer freedom (user freedom is already guaranteed by
license), so that they can participate in development using any forge
instance, increasing contributor-base outside GitHub and breaking the
GitHub monopoly.

There is a project called ForgeFed <https://forgefed.org/> working on
this.  It says that Gitea is implementing that (maybe draft)
specification.  Will Savannah implement fedaration?  And by the way,
what's the status of FSF's new forge?  There is no update for (maybe) a
year.

This discussion is no longer related to Emacs, but related to free
software philosophy and/or politics.  Where should we move it?
emacs-tangent list doesn't seem to be a good fit, since this is not
related to Emacs at all.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5