Re: master 86dc875bf5 2/2: Make browse-url.el support for plain "mozilla

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: master 86dc875bf5 2/2: Make browse-url.el support for plain "mozilla" obsolete
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 18:48:27 +0530

[ஞாயிறு ஜூலை 10, 2022] Stefan Kangas wrote:

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> IIRC this is used for SeaMonkey as well, which is still actively
>> developed and used.  But I'm not sure.
>
> The SeaMonkey binary is called "seamonkey", so even that won't work
> OOTB.
>
> If we want to follow the browse-url historical "tradition", we should
> add variables for "seamonkey"... but I'm not sure adding variables for
> every little web browser out there is a very great idea.  (See also the
> TODO item about cleaning this all up.)
>
> IMHO, it should be enough to provide facilities for the main web
> browsers (and those important to the free software mission) and then
> defer to e.g. XDG.  So I'd recommend SeaMonkey users to use something
> like:
>
>     xdg-settings set default-web-browser seamonkey.desktop

IMVHO, XDG (and Gtk for that matter) can be annoyingly hard to
understand and set-up.  I spent an overall ~2 hours this week trying to
get XDG (and dconf) working the way I want it to [*].  If Emacs does not
rely on XDG but supports them "natively", I would be grateful as it
means I do not have to put up with the whims of XDG et al.  Just my two
cents.

---

[*] More details: Debian decided to install xdg-desktop-portal by itself
    and set it up.  This meant that the file picker in Chromium would
    not pick up my bookmarks or my XDG environmental variables.  Getting
    the WM_CLASS atom of the file picker gave the clue not searching for
    something like "gtk file picker does not respect bookmarks".

    In the same vein, I had no idea why dconf did not save the settings
    I set via gsettings, dconf, dconf-editor.  It started saving the
    settings once I deleted the dconf directory in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

    Since almost every search engine seems to give poor results, I have
    a very hard time fixing these little annoyances.  I, at least, want
    Emacs to do exactly what I say, not someone else's whim.