Re: Implementing child frames on terminal

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: Implementing child frames on terminal
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 20:03:58 +0600

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> And the final question, what should we do when the child frame crosses
>>> it's parent's edges, but doesn't cross the display?  Should we clip it
>>> (like most window systems) [1] or not (like NS) [2]?
>>
>> The former, I think.  But maybe we could make it customizable.  The
>> difference from the code POV is not that big.
>
> If so, then someone should implement the same on X.  (I'm not
> volunteering, IMO child frames are a misfeature that could be
> implemented with undecorated frames entirely in Lisp.)

It's easy:

Don't use the parent frame parameter and calculate the position of the
frame yourself.

> It isn't fair to have a GUI feature that works in a TTY, but not under
> X.

It's fair, as long as the feature is available on free software systems.
But it's obviously good to support the feature on other platforms.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5