Re: Implementing child frames on terminal

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Implementing child frames on terminal
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 21:33:34 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> What?  Completion popup is a misuse of child frame?  Then what its
>> supposed to do?
>
> IMNSHO child frame support (on X) is actually a misfeature, and
> completions should be implemented with an override-redirect toplevel
> window instead.
>
> The reasoning behind this conclusion is the sheer amount of code we
> spend trying to force toolkits (GTK in particular, but also Xt) and
> the X server (in the case of the X input extension) to play nice with
> supposedly "toplevel" windows being a child of an actual toplevel
> window.

Interesting.  What would the child-frame using programmer loose when
switching to override-redirect toplevel windows?  I guess their position
would be absolute instead of relative to the (then not existent) parent
frame and they wouldn't reposition themselves when the parent moves.
The first issue could be amended with functions computing positions
relative to some given frame and the second isn't too big of a deal.

Bye,
Tassilo