Re: [ELPA] New package: salv

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: salv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:39:10 -0700

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> I've no objection to adding it to core, other than that it wouldn't be
> easily available to users until Emacs 29 is released, which will be
> quite a while.

Yes, that's unfortunately true for any new feature we add to Emacs.
OTOH, everyone will have it once it's released.

To my mind, it should be feasible to release a forwards-compatibility
package with just the new behavior, if there's demand for it on Emacs 28
or older.

> Do you mean that the code should be essentially copied into files.el
> as-is, or that other changes should be made accordingly?
>
> What if salv.el were added to emacs.git as a separate file, so that it
> wouldn't need to be loaded unless activated?

I wonder why `auto-save-visited-mode' is not just changed to fit your
needs here.

The main difference I can see is that it is not a local minor mode?  I
do think a local mode would be useful for adding to mode hooks, etc.  So
how about just adding a new local mode `auto-save-visited-local-mode'?
Would that cover your use-case(s)?

See also the new options `remote-file-name-inhibit-auto-save-visited'
and `auto-save-visited-predicate' that were inspired by the recent
discussion about `super-saver-mode' and `salve' on /r/emacs.