Re: master 05d240997a 2/2: Add native-compile-prune-cache command

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 05d240997a 2/2: Add native-compile-prune-cache command
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:38:09 -0400

Andrea Corallo [2022-07-22 23:17:44] wrote:
>>> do we support loading comp.el and using in non native builds?
>>
>> We should support loading `comp.el`, yes.
>> Using it (e.g. calling functions therein) probably not unless the call
>> can be given a reasonable semantics.
>
> Sounds sensible, but then should we protect all functions or just say
> that using them not supported?

I don't think we can/should have a general policy in this respect.
I'd rather do it on a case-by-case basis.

Regarding "prune cache" I earlier suggested that it could just "prune
nothing" when called from an Emacs with no native-compiler, but I later
saw that the docstring says:

    Remove .eln files that aren’t applicable to the current Emacs invocation.

so another valid option would be for it to delete *all* the .eln files
when called from an Emacs without support for native compilation
(because none of the .eln files are "applicable to the current Emacs
invocation").

        Stefan