Re: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:13:20 +0300

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:30:46 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Aaanyway, I think I'm happy with the current implementation that _doesn't_
> use line numbers at all. I think this discussion has been productive (to some
> degree).  If I ever need this again (or someone else, like Dmitry), I'll be
> sure
> to ping here again.

OK.  Let me just say, for the future, that basing this on text
properties is IMO not the best idea.  I think a better idea is to have
some buffer-local (or window-local) variable whose value is an
appropriate data structure that specifies faces for ranges of line
numbers.  Of course that value will need to be updated at suitable
times, which in itself is not a trivial task.