Re: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 13:25:12 -0400

> I am personally open to putting the package on ELPA (or nongnu ELPA).

I just looked at the code's apparent ownership, and it looks like there
are a few contributors which would need to sign paperwork before we can
add it to GNU ELPA.

Would you willing to help get that paperwork done, or do you prefer we
put it into NonGNU ELPA?

> My main concern is that I would prefer to keep upstream where it is to
> avoid moving things around - and ideally I would like to avoid doing
> extra work for new versions (melpa automatically builds new versions
> every time I push/tag a release). I haven't followed elpa very closely
> but my impression is that you might be able to set a remote upstream
> but you would need to manually keep re-syncing to keep things up to
> date in elpa.

Yes, nowadays most GNU ELPA packages are maintained upstream.
And there's no need to push to elpa.git, instead we have a cron job that
pulls into it (which also means the upstream should *not* force push
even if the last push was "just a few minutes ago so surely noone will
notice") and a new release is made whenever the `Version:` header
is bumped.

        Stefan