Re: Eglot to core [Was: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]]

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Eglot to core [Was: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]]
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:58:52 +0100

> So, yes, `eglot` in GNU ELPA is now stuck and you'll have to merge
> `c558fd6a24` back into your upstream repo before it will start tracking
> it again :-(

OK done.  Let me know when it's running again.

>> Speaking of that, I'd like to get started with this sometime soon (maybe
>> August,  around the corner).  I wonder if you know any Git technique that
>> allows me to keep the history, at least of eglot.el so that is merged with
>> Emacs's own history.  There was some `git subtree` command  to do this
>> right?
>
> As a one-time thing it's pretty easy.  You don't really need `git
> subtree` for that.  Just do something like:
>
>     git merge --no-commit --allow-unrelated-histories .../eglot
>     git mv eglot.el lisp/
>     git commit

OK this indeed sounds simple.  lisp/eglot.el sounds fine  I suppose the
tests would go to test/lisp/eglot-tests.el

What about the manual rewritten from the README?  A new section in the
Emacs user manual or a separate manual like Flymake's (the latter has
the unfortunate flaw that it isn't indexed by C-h S).

What about the Eglot NEWS file?  Should I trash it or is there some
place to put it/or integrate it?

> Keeping it up if you keep hacking on the upstream is IMO an unsolved
> problem (there are various hacks you can use, but they all suck one way
> or another).

I plan to hacking in Emacs core, i.e. make commits to emacs.git.  Not in
Eglot's github upstream.  However, I _would_ like the upstream to track
eglot.el from emacs.git (only that file will do), since I suspect some
people still get it from there.  Also often people submit pull requests
to that repo, and if the eglot.el file is up-to-date all I have to do is
extract a patch and commit to emacs.git.

I also wanted to give some grace time to users who file bug reports in
the upstream repo for some time, but that's an easier administrative
issue.

What do you think of this plan, is it feasible?

João