Re: Colorful line numbers

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Colorful line numbers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:50:33 +0300

On 23.07.2022 02:32, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Also seehttps://debbugs.gnu.org/36472.
Have you tried to add such a feature for `(n)linum-mode`?
I didn't: that's not what the diff-hl user was asking for.

But you could add that feature to `diff-hl` for `(n)linum-mode` so
people can at least try it out.

I don't really use either myself. I hear display-line-numbers-mode has improved on some essential performance problems, but I have no practical knowledge to substantiate that.

Either way, the person was asking for integration with the latter package. So I fear my effort would end up unused even if I took it up.

And if we take an alternative approach (display-line-numbers-mode looks up
text properties in the buffer to determine which face to use), it also
depends on the intricacies of its implementation. E.g. how to reliably
redraw when such text properties change.

My hunch is that such changes to text-properties would cause
a rerendering of those lines anyway (the decision whether to re-render
doesn't pay attention to which properties have been changed, IIRC), so
it may end up "just working" without any effort in this respect.
Then again, maybe not.

That would be my basic expectation as well, but I dimly recall that d-l-n-mode performs some additional optimizations in order not to recalculate line numbers.