Re: 29.0.50 master freeze on macOS

From: Alexander Adolf
Subject: Re: 29.0.50 master freeze on macOS
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:26:57 +0200

Hello Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> [...]
> This helps, thanks.  But since the loop is in that place, it is very
> important to see the definition of the face which causes this.
>
> Specifically:
>
>   . what is the value of face_name argument to merge_named_face that
>     calls face_inherited_attr? it should be a symbol.
>   . what are the attributes in the attrs[] argument to
>     face_inherited_attr? this is a vector of Lisp objects, and the
>     meaning of each component can be seen in the lface_attribute_index
>     enumeration

Shortly after I received your message, I updated my (M)ELPA packages to
their latest versions, and was rewarded with a "symbol's function
definition is void" error for a function in compat. I decided to use
the big stick, and did a

(byte-recompile-directory package-user-dir nil 'force)

And guess what, no more freeze happening since. I'll continue keeping an
eye on it though.

Cheers,

  --alexander