Re: case-insensitive string comparison

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: case-insensitive string comparison
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:16:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I think the need is sufficiently generic, e.g., BBDB provides such a
>> wrapper, as, I am sure, do many other packages.
>> Many core files can be simplified by using `string-equal-ignore-case'
>> (just like with the `string-prefix-p').
>
> I'm not convinced, but I won't mount the barricades if Lars and/or
> others think we need this.

Since there are already three of these variations in core, I think that
shows that this would be a handy function to have.

I've used `cl-equalp' for this in the past, but having a `string-'
prefixed function might make sense.  And in that case, what about
calling it `string-equalp'?  But perhaps too obscure for people coming
from an non-CL background, so `string-equal-ignore-case' is fine by me.