Re: case-insensitive string comparison

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: case-insensitive string comparison
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:10:47 +0300

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Cc: Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:28:01 -0400
>
> Bruno Haible replied in this thread, suggesting libunistring via gnulib.
> I think this is the easiest way to handle the issue.

Using an external library whose notion of string comparison and
letter-case cannot be controlled by Emacs is a non-starter.  With the
current machinery, a Lisp program or a user can control up/down-casing
by specifying a buffer-local case-table, and we won't give up this
important functionality.  Other than that, I'm not aware of anything
that libunistring can do that Emacs cannot: we import the same Unicode
tables as libunistring does, so we have the same data to do these
jobs.