Re: case-insensitive string comparison

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: case-insensitive string comparison
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:56:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> With the
> current machinery, a Lisp program or a user can control up/down-casing
> by specifying a buffer-local case-table, and we won't give up this
> important functionality.

For which types of users, and for which use-cases, do you consider this an
"important functionality"?

Recall that the Unicode casing tables already cover the special cases for
'ß', Turkisch i, and so on.

I'd like to understand whether per-user customization of casing rules is
so important that libunistring should offer it in the API (as opposed to
requiring code modifications).

LibreOffice, for example, allows per-user customizations of the spell-
checking dictionary, but not of the casing tables. Is that a flaw, and why?

Bruno