Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:28:43 +0200

31 maj 2023 kl. 14.19 skrev Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>:

>> The main reason why I'd like to move them out is not to require the load
>> of comp.el for a simple C-h f.  Secondary yeah I think that if it's in
>> use outside the compilation functionality should just not live there.
>
> Thinking about more I can't see why we should force people to load
> comp.el for a simple C-h f.  If this data is consumed by both comp.el
> and help-fns.el it should stay in a commonly available place.

Let's use a separate file for the data then, rather than subr-x.el. That also
keeps down the size of subr-x.el which is used very widely in practice. If the
information is moved into function declarations then that new file will just go
away.

Another concern is whether this information is useful to display in the help in
the first place. The documentation should be authoritative; if the symbolic
type is in conflict, actually or seemingly, the user will be confused.