Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 07:50:13 -0400

Mattias Engdegård <mattias.engdegard@gmail.com> writes:

> 31 maj 2023 kl. 14.19 skrev Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>:
>
>>> The main reason why I'd like to move them out is not to require the load
>>> of comp.el for a simple C-h f.  Secondary yeah I think that if it's in
>>> use outside the compilation functionality should just not live there.
>>
>> Thinking about more I can't see why we should force people to load
>> comp.el for a simple C-h f.  If this data is consumed by both comp.el
>> and help-fns.el it should stay in a commonly available place.
>
> Let's use a separate file for the data then, rather than
> subr-x.el. That also keeps down the size of subr-x.el which is used
> very widely in practice. If the information is moved into function
> declarations then that new file will just go away.
>
> Another concern is whether this information is useful to display in
> the help in the first place. The documentation should be
> authoritative; if the symbolic type is in conflict, actually or
> seemingly, the user will be confused.

Hi Mattias,

I'm not sure I understand this argument, if something will prove not to
be correct we'll just fix it as we do for everything else.  I don't
think sweeping something under the carpet will help us on the long term
anyway, I rather prefer exposing things and having a feedback in case
something is not optimal.

Best Regards

  Andrea