Re: Best (or common) pratices on package development workflow

From: Ruijie Yu
Subject: Re: Best (or common) pratices on package development workflow
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 07:51:24 +0800

On Jun 2, 2023, at 07:12, Lic. Federico G. Stilman <fstilman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First things first. I started development with Emacs Lisp a few weeks
> ago after using for more than 20 years Emacs for my daily work. So I
> am a newbie on the Emacs Lisp development side.
>
> I am currently writing a simple Emacs package consisting of one .el file.
>
> I have a couple of defcustom declarations that initialize some
> variables with a default value. And this is the source of my question.
>
> Every time I make a change to the init value of the defcustom
> declaration, I have to unload the feature provided by the package,
> with something like:
>
>  (unload-feature 'my-package)

for defcustom, defun, defvar, etc, you can use C-M-x when you are inside the
corresponding s-exp to evaluate it (and reset the initial value if it is a
variable).  See the docstring of C-M-x for details.

When for some reason I don’t feel like doing that, I would use either
makunbound or fmakunbound to clear its symbol value or symbol function, then
load the file again via M-x eval-buffer or the like.