Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 01:30:45 +0200

> Yes. And they selectively use some parts of isearch but not other. If a
> third-party library is to re-bind `isearch-filter-predicate' what should
> it expect about the environment? For now, it appears that even though
> `isearch-mode-end-hook' is not always called, `isearch-clean-overlays'
> does. But it may not be in future, for example. Potentially breaking the
> working code. More accurate documentation would at least provide a guide
> what to expect.

Your case is special, though, since you need to hack _into_ an internal
Isearch mechanism, your goal is the interoperation with isearch code.

To me the appropriate solution is clearly: extend Isearch so that it can
handle the invisible text property itself (or provide a clear interface
that allows to implement that cleanly).  Thos would be a better investment
of time, more useful and maybe even not much harder than documenting all
of those details.

Michael.