Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Control help- and Info-mode buffers from other buffers
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 19:54:54 +0300

>> Then 'SPC SPC SPC DEL' scrolls it from the *scratch* buffer.
>
> These are quite involved shortcuts. Think of people memorizing all that, and
> typing all that. In case one would repeat commands, isn't it just less key
> tapping to jumpt to window, do what is needed, and jump back. If we say
> Info-mode-map is on a key (my peronal M-i), for me it becomes M-i j,
> sequence of a one- or two-key combinations, and 'j' to jump back, regardless
> of
> what Emacs considers other window. Even with repeat-mode I don't see if saves
> much compared to just simply switching to the window? Or do I miss and
> misuinderstand?

This depends on the people's workflow.  Do most people need just to type
a single key in another window most of the time?  Then a global keymap
could save from typing a key to switch to another window.

> Could that function/implementation be made so that a highly hypothetical macro
> say "define-command", calls it somehow instead of actually generating the code
> in the user command? Otherwise it would be a lot of code duplication, which is
> why you don't like with-selected-window I guess? I would like the effect as in
> the above little piece of code, but not the exact implementation.

Indeed, code duplication would be unfortunate.  Ideally, all commands
should stay unchanged.  But since pre/post hook hack is unreliable,
this means creating a lot of wrappers like this

  (defun Info-menu-other-window (menu-item &optional fork)
    (interactive (with-selected-window (other-window-for-info)
                   (Info-menu-read-args)))
    (with-selected-window (other-window-for-info)
      (Info-menu menu-item fork)))