Re: [NonGNU Elpa] New package: electric-french

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [NonGNU Elpa] New package: electric-french
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 14:03:34 +0300

> From: Matthias Meulien <orontee@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:31:42 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I am a native french speaker and I would expect such a feature to replace the
> previous space with a
> non breaking space or insert a non breaking space. This is the behaviour
> implemented in Libre Office
> Writer AutoCorrection feature, Microsoft Word, etc. People are used to this
> and for a good reason: It
> doesn't interfere with their habit to enter space before most punctuation.

Is this to avoid breaking lines where they shouldn't be?  If so, we
already have fill-french-nobreak-p; see fill.el.

If this is for some other purpose, i.e. if typing French text needs to
insert no-break-space character for a purpose other than filling the
text correctly, then would someone please explain the needs, before
presenting solutions?

Thanks.