Re: [NonGNU Elpa] New package: electric-french

From: Matthias Meulien
Subject: Re: [NonGNU Elpa] New package: electric-french
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:22:09 +0200

> French text typed in Emacs is not necessary rendered in Emacs only: An HTML page written in Emacs
> but rendered in Firefox will have it's line breaks at different places and non-breaking spaces will apply
> for Firefox as well as Emacs.

Isn't it the job of a Web browser to display French text correctly,
breaking lines only where a French reader would expect?  I didn't know
browsers needed help in that by inserting NBSP.  Do they?

I am not an HTML expert but I played with "lang=en" and "lang=fr" attributes on "html", "body" and "p" elements, and in all three cases Firefox, Chrome and EWW broke lines at strange places from my point of view, unrelated to the lang attribute:

Capture d’écran du 2023-06-05 23-03-03.png

> Other example: I use to type text in Emacs and later copy-paste in word processing applications; I am
> happy to have non-breaking spaces already in place.

Same here: isn't it the job of the word processor to break lines
correctly for French?

AFAIU they do by inserting non-breaking spaces when the punctuation characters are inserted; This doesn't apply when copy-pasting...
image.png

--
Matthias