Re: Bookmarks in registers

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Bookmarks in registers
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 06:44:43 +0000

Christopher Howard <christopher@librehacker.com> writes:

> Hi, I explored this idea recently, and was wondering if it could be something
> easily added to the next release of emacs:
>
> http://gem.librehacker.com/gemlog/starlog/20230607-0.gmi

For those who don't want to open the link:

(defun bookmark-point-to-register ()
  (interactive)
  (set-register
   (register-read-with-preview "register: ")
   (bookmark-make-record)))

(defun bookmark-register-to-point ()
  (interactive)
  (bookmark--jump-via
   (get-register
    (register-read-with-preview "register: "))
   'pop-to-buffer-same-window))

> Maybe some active Emacs developer would want to run with this basic idea and
> throw together a patch?

Getting other people to write a patch for you is usually not productive.
I'd recommend trying to do so yourself (check out the CONTRIBUTE file in
emacs.git), in which case there is something concrete to discuss.

> I've found in my workflow that it is convenient to be able to put an
> anonymous bookmark into a register. For example, if you are
> temporarily moving around between a few different info manuals.

How is this different from `point-to-register' and `jump-to-register'?