Re: [External] : Re: Bookmarks in registers

From: Christopher Howard
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Bookmarks in registers
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:41:26 -0800

On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 02:13:23PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote:
>   "you can just use a regular bookmark instead, but then you must name the
> bookmark, and then the bookmark clutters up your list of bookmarks. What I
> want is to be able to store an anonymous bookmark in a register, which is
> handy if you only need a bookmark for a little while."
>
> FWIW, Bookmark+ autonamed bookmarks take care of not needing to provide
> bookmark names etc.  And bookmarks can be temporary.

Thank you. I think, looking bookmark+ over, I would still rather use the
solution I've already coded, which seems slightly more convenient. With
bookmark+, you would not need to confirm a bookmark name, but you would still
need later to figure out what was the correct bookmark name to jump to, as
opposed to just remembering "I always put that last bookmark I need in register
1". It does look like bookmark+ has a temporary bookmark functionality, but you
either have to consciousless enable it / disable it for individual bookmarks,
or go into a special mode. That being said, if I hadn't already coded the
register functions that work great for me, I think I would explore bookmark+ a
little more.

I certainly don't mean to create a ton of work for other people — my thought
was just that if it was pretty easy for me to figure out how to store a
bookmark in a register, then maybe an emacs dev with all the knowledge of
patch-making and proper naming and such could add the functionality easily. Due
to my life time-constraints, I don't think I'd be able to dive more deeply into
for another four or five months at least. One part that I also was unsure about
was creating the proper CL method so that `list-registers' properly displays
the register value when a bookmark is stored in it — maybe that is something
that would be trivial to somebody else.

--
Christopher Howard