Re: [ELPA] New package: emacs-gc-stats

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: emacs-gc-stats
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:13:26 +0000

>> I'd like to submit a helper package to collect GC statistics during
>> Emacs session. See the discussion in
>> https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/831qluuj7e.fsf@gnu.org/
>
> Let me know if you need help adding the package (I couldn't find a URL
> for the code, so I have no opinion about it (yet :-))

Oops... https://git.sr.ht/~yantar92/emacs-gc-stats

This is my first time submitting to ELPA, so I just tried to follow ELPA
README.

> I haven't read the above discussion but I'll just point out that
> I regard discussions that focus on `gc-cons-threshold` to reflect
> a misunderstanding.  What needs to be discussed/tweaked/investigated is
> usually `gc-cons-percentage` instead.
>
> More specifically the default value of `gc-cons-threshold` is rarely
> used, since in most relevant circumstances `gc-cons-percentage` takes
> precedence).

I do not necessarily agree, but we should discuss it in the linked
thread, not here. The package just collects the statistics, including
`gc-cons-threshold', `gc-cons-percentage', and GC stats after every GC.

If the package gets added to ELPA, we can discuss further about what
kind of data we want to collect. Then, I can alter the README with
better instructions and go ahead asking Emacs users to record and later
report the data.

> PS: In recent Emacsen, `gc-cons-percentage` is set to 1.0 when running in
>     batch.  In non-batch I currently use 0.5 together with a timer that
>     tries to opportunistically run the GC during idle time.

This is yet another thing we can ask users to test, if we want to.
My idea is have users set GC settings randomly in their init file,
selecting from pre-configured set of alternatives we are yet to discuss.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,