Re: [ELPA] New package: emacs-gc-stats

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: emacs-gc-stats
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 12:19:44 -0400

> I'd like to submit a helper package to collect GC statistics during
> Emacs session. See the discussion in
> https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/831qluuj7e.fsf@gnu.org/

Let me know if you need help adding the package (I couldn't find a URL
for the code, so I have no opinion about it (yet :-))

I haven't read the above discussion but I'll just point out that
I regard discussions that focus on `gc-cons-threshold` to reflect
a misunderstanding.  What needs to be discussed/tweaked/investigated is
usually `gc-cons-percentage` instead.

More specifically the default value of `gc-cons-threshold` is rarely
used, since in most relevant circumstances `gc-cons-percentage` takes
precedence).

        Stefan

PS: In recent Emacsen, `gc-cons-percentage` is set to 1.0 when running in
    batch.  In non-batch I currently use 0.5 together with a timer that
    tries to opportunistically run the GC during idle time.