Re: question regarding my emacs package

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: question regarding my emacs package
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 21:43:28 +0100

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 11:54 AM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 9:45 AM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> > wrote:

> > 1. There is no name clash, as ram observed
> Yes, there is only the potential for confusion.

If a name clash existed, you wouldn't just have confusion,
you'd have an integration problem in your hands.

> Oh, I did not know that.  Intuitively, I would argue that you tried to
> reserve the name in the "core emacs/ELPA namespace" first.
> Arguing via stars is difficult, because on the one hand you are a well
> known Elisp author and your packages are bound to attract more attention
> over a longer period of time, but we cannot deduce anything from these
> facts.

Of course we can.   We can infer from the amount of attention attracted
the number of users that have dispensed that attention.  The period
of time over which that amount of attention was gathered and notoriety
of the author is irrelevant: all other things being equal, you want to
know the number of users impacted at the time by some hypothetical
administrative decision.

What I'm trying to tell you is two things: 1. I do agree with you that
some confusion is bound to arise from the similarity in name, though
I'm not sure it warrants any action: that is up to you or others.  2. If
you wish to tackle the problem via some specific action, it's much smarter
to consider the number of users affected by that action rather than
considering who "reserved" the name first.

João