Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:34:08 -0700

   From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
   Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:34:16 +0200

   Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

   > Thanks, but what you say gives the POV of an Android user, not the POV
   > of the Emacs maintenance.  I have no doubt whatsoever that having
   > Emacs on Android will benefit Android users; my doubts are whether we
   > as the project should and can take upon ourselves this additional
   > maintenance burden, and promise the Android users that we will
   > maintain, let alone develop, this port for the years to come.

   That’s not the view of an Android user (I do not currently use Android,
   except as an offline two-factor device), but the view of a long term
   Emacs user: It is a big advantage for me that Emacs will be wherever my
   future life with computers takes me.

Hear, hear.  I hate my Android phone for many reasons, chief among them
is that it doesn't have Emacs.  I haven't been brave enough yet to try
Po Lu's port (largely because I'm such a phone idiot), but I'm sure I'll
need it sooner or later, because despite my resistance I'm being pushed
into greater dependence on my phone, so the handwriting is definitely on
the wall.  I would think that Android support would provide a measure of
future-proofing, if not for Emacs, then for Emacs users.

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://www.rgrjr.com/