Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 03:49:22 +0300

On Fri, 2023-06-16 at 18:32 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Thanks, but what you say gives the POV of an Android user, not the POV
> of the Emacs maintenance.  I have no doubt whatsoever that having
> Emacs on Android will benefit Android users; my doubts are whether we
> as the project should and can take upon ourselves this additional
> maintenance burden, and promise the Android users that we will
> maintain, let alone develop, this port for the years to come.

Increase of userbase may potentially result in new developers and maintainers.
OTOH, decrease of userbase (due to people having to use alternative editors)
will result in these potential devs/mainainers going to other projects that
provide features they need.

So the size of userbase has indirect influence to the amount of developers and
maintainers.