Suggestion: Make cperl-mode.el an ELPA :core package

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Suggestion: Make cperl-mode.el an ELPA :core package
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:35:27 +0000

Hello all,

Within the next weeks we expect the release of Perl 5.38.  This version
includes some changes which should be supported by CPerl mode.  Most
notably, there will be a builtin object system with keywords "class" and
"method", which are relevant for syntax highlighting, imenu, and
indentation.

I am currently working on adding these to cperl-mode.el.  But these
will, in the normal course of action, not be released before Emacs 30
comes out.  Therefore I'd like to make cperl-mode.el available via ELPA.

If I understand it correctly, then the file can continue to be developed
in the Emacs repository, if it is flagged as ":core".  cperl-mode.el
would need a "Version:" header so that it can be released independent of
Emacs versions.  So, if the version in cperl-mode.el is changed, ELPA
will deliver the new version.  Are there conventions where to start?
Historically cperl-mode.el had its own versioning, based on an upstream
which no longer exists.  This ended with version 6.2, the variable
cperl-version has been obsoleted as an own variable in Emacs 28.1.  I
think it would make sense to start from there and release the first ELPA
version as 7.0.

I am regularly running tests for cperl-mode.el in older Emacs versions
(and have added a few compatibility helpers).  Are there any more
changes to do?

--
Cheers,
haj