Re: ChangeLog and commit messages

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: ChangeLog and commit messages
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:48:38 +0800

Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:

> Could you please describe some example of when this happens? As
> someone who has contributed to dozens of projects, I can say there's
> likely something odd in your workflow. If you provide details on where
> and why you have problems, I think I could give suggestions for how to
> avoid that.

When I'm working on a file, I lock (using the VCS) the files which I
need to edit.  Then, as I work, I type C-x 4 a and describe the changes
being made to each function.  Finally, I check in the changes made to
those locked files, and update ChangeLog.

Typically, those check-ins are made at the end of the workday, but
sometimes sooner if another developer complains that a file he wishes to
edit is locked.