Re: Android port

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2023 12:04:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Then we should ask them to add that, or help us solve this in another
> proper way.
>
> Paul and Bruno, can you please advise how to resolve this issue?  We
> need to disable the compilation of these *printf modules on
> MS-Windows, since the Windows build doesn't need them, and compiling
> them causes compile-time errors.  The usual method of omitting a
> module, like we do in nt/gnulib-cfg.mk, seems not to work in the above
> case for some reason.
>
> Another possible way forward is for Gnulib to modify asprintf.c so
> that it does compile with MinGW (and then it will be left unused on
> Windows in libgnu.a).

Before thinking about how to disable things, the first thought should
be how to fix the compilation error — since that's generally easier
and also may help other packages than Emacs.

This asprintf() declaration in mingw's <stdio.h> is guarded by
__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO. I've checked the Emacs source code, and it
appears to set __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO to 1, just like Gnulib does.

Therefore I need more info from the reporter (Angelo [1]), for analysis:

1) Please do "make -k V=1" twice and attach the log of the second run.
   (Logs without V=1 often hide important details. Also, I'd like to
   know whether the same error also occurs with vasprintf.c.)

2) Please attach the file config.status. I need to the see value of
   REPLACE_ASPRINTF and related variables.

3) Also, if you still have the output of 'configure' (the many
   "checking for ..." lines), it would be good if you could attach
   that as well.

4) Finally, please attach the C:/msys64/mingw64/include/stdio.h — because
   there are so many versions of mingw.

Thanks.

Bruno

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-08/msg00044.html