Re: Android port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 16:13:08 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  eggert@cs.ucla.edu,  angelo.g0@libero.it,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 20:51:40 +0800
>
> Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org> writes:
>
> > 1) Add a file emacs/gnulib-local/modules/printf-for-emacs with the following
> >    contents:
> >
> > =========================================================================
> > POSIX compatible printf() function on selected platforms.
> >
> > Depends-on:
> > printf-posix     [case "$host_os" in mingw*) false;; *) true;; esac]
> > =========================================================================
> >
> >    What this does is to add a module with a conditional dependency to
> >    'printf-posix'.
> >
> > 2) In the gnulib-tool invocation, add the option --local-dir=../gnulib-local
> >    (so that it references the emacs/gnulib-local/ directory), and add
> >    the module 'printf-for-emacs' to the module list.
> >
> > I believe this solution will work unchanged for 10 or 20 years.
>
> Eli, are you OK with this solution?

Yes (assuming it works: that remains to be seen).  But: (a) I'd like
to hear Paul's opinion on this solution, since he is the one who
routinely imports Gnulib into Emacs; and (b) I'd like to see if
setting gl_cv_func_vasprintf_posix=yes in mingw-cfg.site (in addition
to ac_cv_func_vasprintf, if needed) will disable the compilation of
the *printf modules and solve the problem in a way that is simple and
doesn't require introduction of any new infrastructure into Emacs.