Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 18:49:53 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> You are comparing negligibly small numbers of contributions, so any
> conclusions from such comparison are questionable at best.

> My personal conclusion is that Emacs developers don't contribute too
> much to Org's documentation because Emacs developers who are used to
> work on documentation seldom if ever use Org for any significant work.
> So they don't have significant changes to contribute, except fixing
> typos and markup.

I think that I need to clarify about the purpose of my "analysis" (I
know that data is not very conclusive, but that all we got).

I was looking into the idea that we can get more help from Emacs
contributors if we switch the format back from .org to .texi.
(Mostly, out of curiosity; and because it was hanging in my TODO list)

According to the above, I do not see that we can achieve such goal:

1. Absolute number of contributions to Org manual was never large (not
   by Org-only contrubutors)

2. Relative numbers, although hard to compare, also do not indicate that
   the switch would be helpful in any way.

Having said that, RMS officially asked Org team to work towards allowing
Org to become the new GNU documentation standard.
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87bkqx4jyg.fsf@localhost/
So, the above idea was rather theoretical. Unless we disregard RMS
request, Org manual will be a good reference template to explore
real-life caveats of using .org as the true documentation source.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,