Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:26:48 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: bzg@gnu.org, yantar92@gmail.com, theophilusx@gmail.com,
> emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:04:38 +0000

> >> But how would Org benefit from it?
> >
> > I explained that below this part in my email.
>
> I thought that you were referring to RMS' request.

I was.  But Richard reads this list, so he will see what I wrote and
respond if he wants to.

> >  I don't know why Richard made that request.  From my POV, switching
> >  from Texinfo to _any_ significantly different markup has the
> >  significant disadvantage that people who routinely improve our manuals
> >  will have to learn a new language, and that will likely lower their
> >  motivation.
>
> >  For better and for worse, Texinfo is our documentation system.  It is
> >  a good system, and is actively developed (version 7.1 will be released
> >  soon), so abandoning it for something that is less familiar to those
> >  who take care of the documentation is a net loss, IMO.  We have enough
> >  real problems on our hands to afford inventing new ones.
>
> This may be true in general, but not for Org development.
> People contributing to the Org manual are expected to understand Org
> markup. So, it is Texinfo that becomes the new language to learn and
> that creates an extra contribution barrier.

If the idea is that the main contributors to the Org documentation are
Org users, and the rest of Emacs developers don't really count for
this purpose, then why did you count the contributions of the latter
to begin with? they should be immaterial for you, AFAIU.