Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 14:16:26 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> But it is not, and email workflow (if one wants to use that kind of
>> workflow) is still viable.
>
> Are you actually using that with GitHub repositories?  Because I do,
> and my comments about that are based on several years of doing it.
> It's extremely tedious, to say the least, and following a discussion
> is without visiting the corresponding issue in a Web browser is quite
> hard, IME.  So please believe me when I say this is very annoying.

I am using GitHub via email since I started using Github, and I am
subscribed to 164 repositories. I do not find this annoying with my
Email setup.

>> > Really?  Just look at this discussion: each message clearly shows to
>> > what it responds by quoting that text.
>>
>> Check out https://github.com/radian-software/straight.el/issues/1107,
>> for example. Do you find it confusing?
>
> That's a Web page, not an email inbox.  And yes, I'd find it hard to
> read due to very few quotes.

See the attached screenshot of my Emacs with the same discussion open.

> ... And that discussion is unusual in how much people quote one another.

I'd like to remind that this discussion is about potential forges for
Emacs. Quoting is just a question of asking people to follow the
conventions.

On Github, some projects you follow may not follow quoting conventions.
Bad for them. Other project follow quoting - they are indeed easier to
read. Not just by email, but in the web UI as well.

I appear to be more lucky than you because the projects I follow are
more bearable with their community style.

> ... But still, take a random message
> there:
>

> https://github.com/radian-software/straight.el/issues/1107#issuecomment-1670440497
>
> It says "Should be fixed by #1109" without saying what is fixed.

The bug, of course. In debbugs, there is even no reference to the commit
that fixes the bug report, which is IMHO worse. You may recall me
complaining about this in the past.

> Or this post:
>

> https://github.com/radian-software/straight.el/issues/1107#issuecomment-1668343604
>
> It begins with "The function in question is" and goes on to discussing
> code, without saying to which part of the discussion this refers.
> Imagine that you receive an email like that -- how do you know what is
> this about without re-reading the entire discussion?

That's _my_ message. It was a follow-up to my previous message, because I
forgot to add details. I'd do things the same way in email.

> Of course, people can refrain from quoting in email messages as well.
> But my point is that when people use the Web UI, they can easily
> forget that someone might be reading their responses via email,
> without seeing the previous posts.

We are clearly using different MUA. I can see previous emails easily.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,