Re: Translating the Emacs manuals (a summary) - revision

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Translating the Emacs manuals (a summary) - revision
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:57:43 +0000

>>> I again propose renaming this subdirectory to
>>>
>>>    doc/translations
>>>
>>> The name "lang" is competing for the letter "l" with "lispintro" and
>>> "lispref" which not only makes the directory listing harder to read but
>>> also makes completion harder.  It is also not self-explanatory in the
>>> same way that "translations" is.
>>
>> Isn't "translations" overly long?  Usually such long names
>> cause inconveniences to users, albeit minor.  This is why
>> the word "internationalization" is shortened to just "i18n".
>> Would it be possible to use "i18n" here?

Internationalization does not mean translation. Internationalization is
the process by which a software can be adapted to support various
locales and languages.

Here, the more appropriate term would be localization, but again, it's
a process.

Having a doc/translations folder allows us to work on Emacs
localization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization

And the practical context in which the word will be used is a git
checkout/commit, so, as Stefan puts it here:

> I don't know, but shouldn't completion mean that it's anyways just
> "doc/t TAB"?

So there is really no inconvenience at all here.

Translation is sometimes abbreviated t9n, but it's weird, and
translators do not generally use that term.