Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 7

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 72
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 22:12:41 -0500

  > If you would say a definite number, maybe it is something for
  > checkdoc to detect and complain about?

I don't recall all the factors that went into this decisio, over a
decade ago.  I just wanted to remind people of one specific factor
that we shouldn't overlook.

Another pertinent factor is hat making the maximum width customizable
would not solve anything.  The reason to have this convention is to
get all Emacs Lisp developers to format their doc strings in such a
way that users in general won't have problems reading those doc
strings.

Sure, different users may have different needs in regard to maximum
width of doc strings they read -- for rational reasons.  But we can
only have one convention about this, and letting different developers
follow different conventions is not a solution.