Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:26:38 +0200

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 04:17:21 +0200
From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>
Cc:visuweshm@gmail.com,justin@burkett.cc,philipk@posteo.net,
  luangruo@yahoo.com,jb@jeremybryant.net,emacs-devel@gnu.org

Here's that simpler version.

It doesn't address the "key translations" example above, but it seems
rare enough, and it should be possible to fix later.

So I suggest we install this now.
This basically throws away the addition of F1 I did, doesn't it?  I
added it for a reason, and I don't want to lose it.  If you want to
make sure F1 is bound to help-command, and omit it from the message if
not, that is fine by me.  But I object to omitting it unconditionally.

Not quite. <f1> is in help-event-list.

This function iterates among the available options, and if it sees that help-char is bound in the current prefix map(s), it tries <f1>, and if that one is bound as well, the last remaining element, which is '?'.

It also prints the value of help-char correctly if it was changed to a different value (if it's not bound in the current prefix map(s)).