Re: NonGNU ELPA: Conditions for accepting a potential new package 'rmsbo

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA: Conditions for accepting a potential new package 'rmsbolt' ?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:10:18 +0000

Jay Kamat <jaygkamat@gmail.com> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
> Might take me a while to fully review and test all the changes, but
> they look good, so once I do so, I'll include them!
>
>> +(defcustom rmsbolt-mode-lighter " RMS🗲"     ;could the unicode
>> charachter be removed?  it can unnecessarily resize the mode line.
>
> Sure - I can remove it. I'll do it after I apply your patch generally.

Just keep in mind that I didn't send a patch.  I just find it convenient
to send comments in form of a diff.

>> -(defun rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type (file-name)
>> +(defun rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type (file-name)
>> ;perhaps use `convert-standard-filename'?
>
> Right now, a contributor is trying to improve this area/enable tramp
> support - so I'd like to keep this as stable as possible while they do
> so. But this is a great suggestion - I'll let them know about this
> function and hopefully it will help them in their change as well!

No problem.

>>  ;;;;; Starter Definitions
>>
>>  ;; IIUC, this "starter" business is not a necessary part of RMSBolt, but is
>>  ;; a way to provide sample files with which users can try out RMSBolt.
>>
>> -(defvar rmsbolt-starter-files
>> +(defvar rmsbolt-starter-files               ;should this be part
>> of a secondary file that isn't loaded by default?
>
> Maybe - I think I would load it by default though - as this is the
> easiest way for someone to try out the package. In my personal usage I
> almost always start from one of these files and add my changes. I
> should update the comment above with that information as well.

It shouldn't matter, as long as the command that uses
`rmsbolt-starter-files' remains auto-loaded, even if the command is
not defined in the main file.

> Thanks! I just want to be doubly sure of all the changes before I
> commit them, I'll try to do that testing tomorrow - I'm a bit busy
> today. I'll also try to fix any remaining checkdoc errors.

Thanks!

--
        Philip Kaludercic on peregrine